Tuesday 4 February 2014

Tuesday - washing in water

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,  let Your healing love flow down upon me.  Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,  let Your healing love spring up within me.  Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God,  let Your healing love flow through me.  Amen.  (Father Simeon Weare  Society of the Common Life). 

            Read James 4: 6-9

James picks up the wisdom from Proverbs 3:34 in vs 6.  Why do you think James quoted this particular scripture to the community?  Then James goes on to say “turn to God.  Always turn to God”.    Washing your hands is a ritual that the Jewish people were instructed to do by God during the Exodus.  Not only is washing one’s hands a ritual but sanitary and keeps us clean.  We remove all the bad junk and are left with love and mercy. 

Today my son is having both knees operated upon.   His surgeon instructed him to shower with a special  soap and scrubbie the night before his surgery and  the morning of his surgery.     This is to keep the area needing surgery "clean".      Isn't it interesting how water has such an important role in our life.   We need water in order to survive.  We wash in water to keep clean  and keep germs at bay.  We  are baptized with the Living Water of Jesus so that we can outwardly show our love for God. 
This day as you wash your hands,  think  on  how water and soap makes us clean.  Reflect on the living waters of baptism and how these very waters made us "clean"  and renews us  within the love of God.

Great God,  this day make me cleaner than snow.  Take up all the things that burden me down.   Help me to turn to You whenever I am confronted with whining and snivelling and quarrels this day.  In Jesus Name I pray.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment